Many times during my (seemingly never-ending) years of study and research, the topic of food combining and alkaline diet popped up. Sometimes I took a little on board but being a little warped by early medical studies I just could not equate diet with cure. Okay, so it was a good foundation but as for healing, surely you needed other modalities to make a difference? Surely if it’s broken, chop it off; if it’s damaged, use some powerful medication to sort things out and you’ll be ‘healthy’ again?
It was only in my late 40s that I realised even my health was declining, despite a vegetarian lifestyle for most of my years on this planet; despite the supplements, herbs, homoeopathics and even chemical free lifestyle. To the delight of colleagues (especially in the medical field) and so many, it seemed even practicing what I preached was not enough and it wasn’t worth all the effort – at the end of the day we all were ageing. But deep down I knew that was just not true.
Almost in passing, I rediscovered the alkaline diet. In desperation I flipped my household overnight. Totally vegan once again, and food on the 80/20 plan (meaning minimum 80% alkaline plus 20% acidic) and swapping a few habits, in turn flipped my health dramatically – where nothing in the past had worked. Being in constant pain, and missing the most important day in my adult life, my eldest child’s wedding because of sudden poor health was not only a painful turn of events, but a shocking reflection for my patients.
I had heard that people raised vegan alkaline never get sick, live to old ages and have health far superior to anyone else on the planet. But I had trouble believing that. I’d always thought they were just fanatics who stretched the truth a little. It was only when one by one, all my accumulated symptoms disappeared and I became immune to whatever bug was going around that I realised there was much, much more to this.
My foray into diet came in a roundabout way, courtesy of early herbal and organic gardening studies, plus a course in Natural Nutrition. It needs to be mentioned here that both of these paths include foods I now know to be acidic and not good for your health. I am not an expert on alkaline living but as with anything I take on, I am studying all I can on the subject and am blessed to be part of Dr Robert Young’s network.
I am not joking when I say ALL illness can be improved, if not removed altogether by living an alkaline lifestyle. Okay, so the first response is usually “I can’t eat all that raw food. I have to have my meat and dairy. That’s not living, that’s hell.” Really? Compared to what? Is it merely that people have been conditioned to endure ill health rater than do ‘anything’ for good health? Hell to me is being sick!
How is it that people happily agree to organ transplants, cracking open the skull to cut up the brain, pacemakers, removal of vital body parts and drugs with abhorrent side effects – or that ultimate sting – risking life or body function in the hope that a procedure might help them – yet fall down at the thought of eating healthy in the chance they will no longer be chronically or terminally ill? The biggest god-doctor act today is guilting parents into torturing their children – with one of the outcomes being possible brain damage or death. Yet living a healthy life is laughed at and dismissed…
For decades, I have seen miracle after miracle in natural health care. I am not joking and one day I hope to fill a book with the case studies. We are talking healthy births of babies that doctors left to die in utero; patients not given the hope of living through the night, walking out of hospital free of disease (once natural medicines have been snuck in), patients waking from comas when doctors have told families to prepare the last rites – when that family instead chose to learn all they could from me to help their loved one. Cancer patients, legally not permitted (that is how strong the medical system is – condemned by ego) to use natural therapies and told by their oncologists that they have a month at best, introducing simple measures into their water or food (or bodywork) and not only living past that month or so, but being declared free of cancer.
But nothing has prepared me for the depth of what the alkaline diet is capable of. Dr Robert and Shelley Young write life changing books on this – both the research and how to do it. In fact, there is a plethora of books available. These days, if I hear a person is terminally ill, I advise them immediately to begin the diet as per the list below, but then to follow up with a dedicated personalised protocol, as there is a lot to do, if we want to change the effects of our acidic life.
Basically, the body is alkaline by design but acidic in nature – that means if we want optimum health, we need to keep our bodies alkaline. This theory is supported by the fact the blood zaps all alkaline salts and minerals from tissues in our bodies – it has to. If the blood becomes too acidic, we die. In fact, all death – regardless of whether mechanical or medical – is linked to acidity.
How? Water is acidic – not by nature but because of pollution and treatment methods. Cooked food is acidic. Alcohol is acidic. So too with sugar, processed foods, even fruit. So if, like me, you live on kgs of fruit a day, yes, you are getting nutrients but you are filling your digestive system and blood with acidic sugar. Fructose is not the health product we are led to believe. Most fruits should be treated as a luxury – part of the 20% – along with all the obviously acidic foods and drinks. Exceptions to this rule – lemons, limes and to a lesser degree, other citrus, pears, berries and melons. Anything else is to be put into the same basket as other luxuries – chocolate, desserts, cakes, alcohol etc. Meat and dairy are arguably the highest in acidity – stress, chemicals, medications, health and death of the animals is simply passed on to whoever decides to put that into their mouths – and is linked to most disease and inflammation.
* Note: Contrary to what many so-called health experts are saying, slightly alkaline water is NOT enough to combat all the other acidic processes, nor can it raise your pH if you continue to eat the same way and live with the same stress.
Soil is usually acidic – even alkaline, limey soil becomes acidic because each grain is coated with chemicals. Stress is acidic. Chemical cleaners and even beauty products cause acidic processes.
The theory is that ALL illness is acidic. Some even go so far as to say there is no disease – simply varying levels of acidity. Considering even pain can be removed by alkaline living, I’d have to agree. All bodily processes are acidic – they leave acid throughout the body. For optimal health, these tissues need to be alkaline. Give it a go and you will see why.
So, how do you become alkaline? It’s actually really easy and I do recommend you get a good book on the subject as it will go into far more detail than I am here. A few vital steps to take up front –
* Water alkaliser or filter jug sticks – the machines are very expensive, but the rods, which last up to two years, can be left in your filtered water (never drink tap water or straight rain water – the environment is just not healthy enough any more) and both will turn your water alkaline. The machines have the benefits of negatively charging the ions. If you can afford it, this is the best option. The best option is a quality ionising, alkalising filter but these are expensive and often out of reach – your water will be finer in molecular structure, ionised, alkalised, remineralised (as in nature – spring water) and is naturally high in antioxidants. pH can be up to 10 which naturally raises your pH, removing toxins and inflammation and all illness linked to inflammatory processes can be positively affected.
* Bi-carb – (baking soda) this should never be classed as a cure-all because it isn’t. You can’t just eat and do what you like and hope that a dose of bi-carb will do the trick. That would be akin to not watering your garden and hoping that a daily dose of fertiliser will do the job. But taking a flat teaspoon of bi-carb in water morning and night is pure magic. It flushes the bowel, kidneys and liver while upholding the structure of blood – in fact, it is an ingredient in many sports drinks, liver treatments, kidney medications, even IV fluids (it’s been my belief for many years that if Sodi-bic IV fluids were used instead of 4% and 1/5 saline dextrose, many traumatic and life threatening illnesses could be reversed. Warning – bicarb/baking soda will usually have the effect of a strong laxative – drink lots of water and do not use it if you are heading out – give at least an hour to allow the immediate effects to pass.
* Lemons/limes – these should be seen as your best friend. A minimum of one of either fruit per person, per day will lift your pH like nothing else. If you have a soda stream, adding pure juice to the carbonated water will soon become your drink of choice. If not, adding some to any water you drink will ensure your body’s pH sits at over 7 every day. Note – soda water even without sugary flavouring is slightly acidic.
* Enemas – don’t laugh. Once part of every healthy program at spas, these have been relegated to obscurity and that is a shame. If you can afford to, book a couple of visits to a colonic irrigation/hydrotherapy clinic – this will flush away a lifetime of toxic build up and hurry the process up, as becoming alkaline in the saliva and urine is very different to your bowel sitting at a very healthy alkalinity. At home, coffee (I often joke this is the only way to use it), olive oil, diluted epsom salts or bi-carb will work wonders. Enemas have the ability to also turn around a lifetime of chronic illness and in many cultures, various forms of enemas and suppositories are made from herbs. Enema kits are available via eBay but my preferred apparatus is a simple saline enema bottle. You can use the saline once, then keep using the bottle. Soak in warm soapy water to which a little disinfectant has been added, drip dry and store for the next use. If you can do this even twice a week, you will soon notice the difference to your health.
Something happening more and more of late that concerns me no end – bowel rupture – could be avoided if people stopped popping medication in the hope it will fix from the top, something that is too deep seated to be corrected that way – it just wont. A regular enema will. Then by balancing with all the other measures your blockages, toxicity and chronic ill health can and will be reversed. Warning – this should be done only when you have an hour or so to lay still and wait for effects – either last thing at night or when you have the house to yourself during the day. Relax and don’t answer the phone.
* pH testers – Available over the counter in pharmacies and some health shops. I prefer to buy online and found a handy gadget from China that only costs about $10 and will work for years. Testing your urine a few times a day at first, will soon make way for once or twice, when you feel your body may be acidic. If your acidity is on the increase (low pH) you can take corrective measures such as bi-carb or lime/lemon/enemas to keep your pH where it is optimal. And yes, you can use the pool pH tester.
* Coconut oil – as important as citrus. Take a heaped teaspoon of coconut oil every morning BEFORE eating or drinking anything else. This will not only help flush your bowel and even drag heavy fats from your lymphatics and body in general, but the structure of coconut oil is such that it can positively affect your various body tissues, bones and organ function. Warning – don’t do it if you are on your way out – give it at least an hour to work.
* Blender and juicer – what has been done in ‘health freak’ homes for decades has finally taken off – no one can eat all the food that we’d need to get macro nutrient levels. We’d be eating all day. Today’s diet is so malnourished that we live in a perpetual state of hunger. By eating healthy, alkaline food you actually rarely get hungry. But the fact remains, by juicing or making smoothies from superfoods and alkaline plant foods, you will get more nutrients in one day than many get in a year. A blender can make nut milks, mayo, cream and even cheeses. It sounds unbelievable, but I am yet to hear one guest tell me they know I have just made that food with nuts.
Try it – a cup of almonds that have been soaked overnight, peeled by rubbing in a teatowel and squeezing between your fingers – cover with an equivalent amount of water. Add vanilla extract or paste to taste and a little fresh orange juice. This is the basis of the Spanish delicacy Bienmessabe or almond cream. Use less or more water to taste.
The same can be done with soaked cashews – to one cup, add half a cup of olive oil, juice of one lemon (a little quality vinegar if you prefer but remember it is acidic), a teaspoon of Himalayan salt and a little pepper. Blend until smooth – you can add garlic and parsley and this can also be adjusted to make ranch dressing, tartare sauce, thousand island dressing, etc, etc. I water it down further and add a little more oil and curry powder to make a salad dressing like nothing I’ve ever tried before.
Anyway, a blender can make the best smoothies – which should never contain dairy at all. Try a stick of celery, an avocado, 1 small carrot, 1 small beetroot, one small lime, one small orange, 1 small pear, half a cup of frozen raspberries, a teaspoon of maca powder and a tablespoon of pure coconut oil. Puddings can be made the same way. Even kids love this and don’t have a clue that they are drinking/eating health food! To make a gelato that everyone will love, add the pulp of one orange, a cup of frozen berries of your choice, a little vanilla extract and half a cup of soaked macadamias if you want it more like icecream. Unbelievably good. If you have a juicer, you can extract the very essence of alkaline foods rather than eat the bulk provided by merely blending lots of healthy food. What would usually fill an entire blender, a good juicer can do the same yet fill just a small glass – the benefits are endless. While the more expensive brands are the Rolls Royces of the field, even the cheapier bullet type blenders can be used as both a juicer and blender and if you use them wisely will do the trick for years.
* Dehydrator – by joining a few raw food websites, you will be able to learn how to make alternatives to every one of your favourite foods – alkaline cakes and desserts, chips and crackers, even breads. I can make dozens of kgs of food into dehydrated foods in a few days – sadly, they are polished off exponentially faster than they are made…
Get the full CHAPS plan here – the only diet you will ever need for health and weightloss.
For your personalised eHealth assessment, please visit here
© Veritas Chrysalis Integrated Health