Something that impacted my work early on was the little issue called œstrogen/estrogen dominance. Once I knew the truth, immediately, my mind raced back to my days growing up, with symptoms I saw in the ladies, then to my nursing days, and the women who were mismanaged to the point of suicide and slow death – shock treatment, strong sedatives and analgesics, and of course, over-use of œstrogen – which affects not just the person at the time, but future generations.
From œstrogen mimicking chemicals found in personal care, cosmetics, cleaning products, perfumery and even food (especially chicken) right through to the contraceptive pill and HRT, doctors see one hormone – œstrogen as the be all and end all to female health – when it actually takes care of itself while both testosterone and progesterone are suppressed as œstrogen levels raise constantly. Increase progesterone, and the others will fall into place synergistically – if allowed to.
Within my patient community, I have had myriad œstrogen-related, tragic health issues affecting everyone from newborns through to the elderly. From a 2 year old menstruating and with precocious puberty (fully developed – maternal history of contraceptive implant and chicken consumption every single day during pregnancy) through to menopause in early twenties (enforced menopause to ‘treat’ endometriosis), from babies born without reproductive organs (toxic farming chemical use during pregnancy) to depression and self harm in old age (HRT-related) medical mismanagement of female hormones simply reflects a poor understanding across the board.
A ‘few’ symptoms of œstrogen dominance – (some may surprise you, others will shock you) –
- decreased sex drive
- irregular cycle
- bloating and fluid retention
- breast tissue swelling and pain
- breast cysts
- uterine cysts, cervical infections
- mood swings
- violence & anger
- weight gain
- facial hair
- deepening of voice
- thyroid dysfunction
- cold hands and feet
- hair loss
- poor metabolism
- brain fog
- memory loss
- PMS and cramping
- poor digestion
- nose bleeds
- sinus inflammation/mucosa inflammation – ovarian, cervical, urinary
- bowel irregularities
- loss of nurturing behaviour
- hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling
- bouts of rapid heart beat
- sudden tears
- irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
- dry vagina, a general drying out that can include eyes, mouth, joints and skin – includes inflammation/infection
- feelings of dread, apprehension, doom
- difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
- disturbing memory lapses
- incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence
- itchy, crawly skin (see note)
- aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons
- increased tension in muscles
- gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas, pain, nausea
- sudden bouts of bloat
- exacerbation of existing conditions
- increase in allergies – leading to inflammation/ infection
- hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body
- dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
- changes in body odour
- electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head
- tingling in the extremities
- blood sugar and diabetic problems
- gum problems, increased bleeding
- burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, dry mouth, change in breath odour
- osteoporosis (after several years)
- changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
- tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, ‘whooshing’ buzzing etc
These symptoms have been discovered in a wide number of studies involving œstrogen dominance – which to date is still largely dismissed within medical circles. Dietary changes alone can bring about massive change but in order to undo the damage that has taken years to build up, gentle and natural supplementation must be considered and used long term. After all, it didn’t happen overnight!
So, what is the answer? Prepare yourself, it’s probably not what you want to hear. Dietary attention is vital – the standard western diet provides too much of what is not needed – cut dairy, meat, gluten and additive consumption. There is more on my diet articles – but getting alkaline really does affect our whole being. From birth, if you are not fed pure, preferably organic food, your enzymes are used up rapidly, which means your hormones eventually become affected as they try to make up the balance.
If you use regular cleaning products, please stop. Don’t use them up – just stop. Also, do not tip them down the drain. Studies show our hormones are affected early on from environmental toxins. Garden sprays, cleaning products, personal care, soaps, even perfumes can mimic our hormones and cause tragic results. Few cleaning products are safe – you can go the whole vinegar and bicarb route or you can use products already researched that are safe and effective – http://goo.gl/Avgx3g – even labels stating ‘natural’ and ‘pure’ can be misleading.
As for treatment, I advise a purified herbal progesterone-raising transdermal cream such as (suitable for all ages from puberty signs) – buy here and a herbal supplement which will work internally – for females – and for males – as well as avoiding all the œstrogen-based medicines such as contraceptive pill, implants and HRT. Please know this has been proven clinically time and again – for me, personally as well as professionally. It has allowed me to help in most fertility health issues and can help you.
* Note – if you consider all the symptoms above linked to œstrogen dominance, you can be assured that by balancing hormone levels by flushing œstrogen to a safe level, you will not only naturally increase the other hormones, but every health system – including your appearance, will improve. Consider it just a part of the fountain of youth.